Handcrafted Soap Care and Cautions
Whether you're still picking out your favourite scents and colours in our store, or you've bought soap from Inspired Suds before, here are some tips on how to help your handcrafted bar perform at its best.
- Handmade soap contains naturally-occurring glycerin, which acts as a humectant. While this is great news for your skin, this isn't so great for the longevity of your soap if it's kept in contact with moisture. In order to prevent your soap from "melting away" and to extend its useful life, it should be kept in a draining soap dish and allowed to dry completely between uses.
- If you aren't going to be using your soap for a while, store it in a cool dry place and allow it to be exposed to air. An open shoe box in your closet or drawer would work great and will make your clothes or linens smell wonderful as a bonus! Wrapping soap completely in plastic may cause the oils in it to go rancid and contribute to your soap developing orange spots and an "off" smell.
- Glycerin soap, however, is the exception to the above rule. Its high glycerin content will attract moisture even from the air around it, which can cause "glycerin dew". In order to avoid this, keep the soap in the original packaging until you are ready to use it, and wrap it in cling wrap if you aren't going to be using it for more than a week.
- If you get soap in your eyes, it will sting. If that happens, rinse with plenty of water. If you have allergies or sensitivities, please make sure to check the ingredients carefully.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, please check the ingredients carefully, as some additives or scents may be not recommended in pregnancy (for example, some essential oils).
- If you experience any discomfort or irritation while using our soap, please discontinue use. Please be aware that some exfoliants may feel more scratchy than others, and some ingredients may irritate sensitive skin.
- Finally, no matter how great our soap looks and smells, please don't eat it! Seriously, don't. And please don't keep it sitting on the shelf because it's too pretty to use... I promise I will make more!